I discovered eggplant last year, and when it is not so ridiculously priced ($5.00 each!) I make sure to pick one up with my fruit & vegetable shopping. I have found them to be a vegetable that I can use to ‘make something quick and tasty from nothing’ if you know what I mean?
Eggplants, or ‘Aubergines’ if you feel like being fancy and French! are considered a fruit – and is related to the tomato and the potato. It is used in many different cuisines, including curries and one of my favourites chutney. I made a very tasty chutney last year: Chutney Anyone? So Easy & So Delish!
Eggplant is often stewed and I have made my version of the French ratatouille which is diced onions, tomatoes courgettes, capsicums with garlic, marjoram and basil all piled into a pan and cooked! Very simple and really good with a poach egg on top for a quick and easy breakfast.
This recipe does take a little prep time, however is well worth it. It makes a nice side dish to a steak, or grilled chicken breast and is equally happy being the centre of attention – the main course for a happy vegetarian 🙂
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced into circles about 1cm thick
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup Italian or whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 cups chunky marinara sauce
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180°c
- Pour milk into a shallow bowl and bread crumbs onto a plate. Dip each slice of eggplant in the milk, moistening each side. Then press on to bread crumbs making sure both sides are thoroughly coated. Place slices on a baking sheeted tray and bake until tender: about 25 minutes.
- Spoon some marinara sauce, about 1/4 cup, onto the bottom of a greased casserole dish. Add a layer of eggplant slices and cover with more sauce. Sprinkle some mozzarella over the sauce, then repeat the layering until your’ve reached the end of your eggplant slices. Top the slices with the last of the sauce and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered for about 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the eggplant set for about 10 minutes before serving.
If you are feeling adventurous try my Ratatouille dish out. Delicious vegetables that will please any palate!
Happy cooking xx