Here’s a variation of pizza that is great for the grown-ups on a Friday night, featuring peanut sauce, broccoli, and sweet mango.
I know, what a combination!
You will have to trust me with this one – it really is good 🙂
Flatbreads are a regular on the shopping list at my place; you can use them so many ways, from wraps with pulled pork and slaw, to bases for bacon and egg pies! Super nice for a lunch sandwich instead of a bread which gets boring quickly – specially for the kids!
This is as authentic a peanut sauce as you can make, as it starts with real peanuts not peanut butter! It is super easy, and quick to make.
You can use this for a dip for vegetables, or as a sauce for chicken or beef satay. Or use it as a marinade for grilled chicken or tofu.
For the Peanut Sauce:
- 1 cup fresh dry-roasted peanuts, unsalted
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 c loves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar, to taste
- 2-2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon tamarind paste, or 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or 1 teaspoon chilli sauce
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
Place all of the ingredients into blender or food processor, and blend until sauce is smooth. If you prefer a runnier peanut sauce, add a little more water or coconut milk.
Do a taste-test, adding more fish sauce if not salty enough, or more cayenne if not spicy enough for you. If too salty, add a squeeze of fresh lime juice. If you would prefer it sweeter, add a little more sugar.
**this sauce tends to thicken as it sits – just a little water or coconut milk to thin it out, as needed. It stores well, in the fridge for up to 2 weeks; pop it in the freezer after this time period.
- 2 flatbreads, or pitas
- 200-250 grams chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 150gram mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup small broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 small red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 mango, chopped – if it is out of season, a can of mango will do the trick too 🙂
- peanuts, chopped to serve
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped to serve
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Heat oil in a small pan, and add chicken and 2 tablespoons of peanut sauce, salt and pepper to sauté until the chicken is cooked through. Set aside and allow to cool.
Spread two tablespoons of the peanut sauce on each flatbread or pita, then top with half of the chicken, cheese and broccoli and red onions.
Bake pizza for 8-9 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden
Top with chopped mango, peanuts and parsley.
Serve with extra peanut sauce so you can dip the crust!
Happy Friday Pizza Nights xx