Do you love the smell of warm fragrant spices wafting through the house? Do you love a juicy plum? Team these two ingredients up and you have an unusual flavour which just happens to work!
- 8 medium, firm & ripe plums
Halve and stone the plums. Cut each half into 3 wedges and set to one side.
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice
Combine these 3 ingredients in a small bowl and set to one side.
- 180g butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract/paste
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Beat the butter sugar and vanilla until light and creamy. Add in the beaten eggs and continue to beat/stir.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt gently mixing into the mixture.
- Spread half of the cake mix into the bottom of a loaf tin, top with half of the plums and then sprinkle half of the sugar mix over the plums.
- Repeat this step ending with the sugar mix.
- Bake for about 1 hour 10/15 minutes or until the cake skewer comes out clean. Cool before removing from the tin.
Serving – I made a thick but pourable icing with icing sugar and a little lemon juice. You could dust this with icing sugar if time is not on your side. We had it with a spoonful of marscarpone which was quite decadent 🙂 but totally yummy – healthy option would be a dollop of Greek yoghurt.
This is a lovely dense, moist loaf which is worthy of a testing out – perhaps when the mother-in-law is coming over for afternoon tea!
Happy baking xx