My husband of nearly 6 years told me something today I didn’t know – that I was the first girlfriend, or partner, or wife for that matter, that had ever baked him a cake!
We were ‘dating’ and it was his birthday and I knew that Carrot Cake was a favourite of his however I had never baked one. Never. I impulsively decided to impress him with my baking skills and treat him to a home-made cake.
From my desk at work I googled recipes – there were so many! I had no idea but chose one and during my lunch break shopped for ingredients. It was his birthday that day so I had to get organised quickly!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar ( I used castor sugar)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, essence or paste
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1 small can of crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup chopped dates
- Preheat the oven to 170°c, and prepare a large baking dish or bundt pan.
- In one bowl mix all of the dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Take another bowl and the eggs, sugar vanilla paste and mix together well. Stir in the oil until the mix is thickened.
- Gently pour the wet mix into the dry until well combined.
- Fold in the carrots, walnuts, pineapple, coconut and dates.
- Pour into the prepared cake pan and spread the mix evenly. Bake for 55 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes and then turn out.
Traditional icing for a carrot cake is a mix of cream cheese and icing sugar – a moist carrot cake can do without this additional indulgence really but….for a special occasion you should really go the whole way! 🙂
I topped the cake with a mix of chopped walnuts, cranberries and dried apricots (healthier? delicious? yes!) and better than candles unless you have young children around and then candles are a must on any cake 🙂
I hope your family enjoy this delicious moist carrot cake as much as my then ‘boyfriend’ did. He is my husband now and I have made it again for him on special occasions – and this afternoon. No, it’s not his birthday today. He has been running around after me whilst I have been recovering from surgery and I haven’t been the easiest of…patient’s but he has been a star! Thank you honey..hope you enjoy the cake! xx