My husband tells me that your should ‘eat like a King’ at breakfast time – in other words eat something more substantial than a cup of coffee and a slice of toast! With tomorrow a public holiday in New Zealand I thought I would share with you a quick and easy breakfast alternative. And with some extra time on your hand’s a good opportunity to treat yourself 🙂
This is an old recipe I have used for a couple of years now starting when my daughter came to stay for the holidays. She was on that never-ending diet trail, and quite frankly whilst I didn’t have her will power to stick to the plan for long, it didn’t hurt any of us to try a low-carb option or two during that particular holiday period!
For 4 people you need:
- 1 small egg
- 150ml skim milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence( I use vanilla bean paste)
- 4 slices of sourdough bread, crusts removed
- 2 small banana’s
- 250g punnet of fresh strawberries/or any other seasonal fruit.
- 2 tsp icing sugar to dust
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- Combine the egg, milk and vanilla essence in a shallow bowl.
- Cut slices of bread in half and dip the bread into the egg & milk mix allowing it to soak for a few second so the liquid can be absorbed.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Spray with oil. Add soaked bread & cook on both sides until browned. Transfer to warmed plates.
- Cut the banana’s into halves or slices & heat through in the pan.
- Slice the strawberries over each portion, add the banana’s. Dust with icing sugar & drizzle each plate with 1 teaspoon of maple syrup. Serve at once.
ps….I also add a little serving of yoghurt with this which goes down well with the family.
I use whatever fruit is seasonal with this dish and as the photo shows, I made the ‘King’ breakfast with fresh peaches and blueberries last time! Having just bought fresh strawberries today that will be our ‘fruit option’ tomorrow.
Prep Time is just 10min, and cooking time even shorter at 5mins. Super easy, super quick and really tasty. Give it a go if you have the day off tomorrow 🙂