Winter Dessert – the ‘Queen of Puddings’!
This is another delicious option for a winter dessert– what makes it a little different is the custard is inside the pudding rather than on top. Raspberry jam is always popular with the children and they will love the meringue topping 🙂
6 (1kg) granny smith apples, peeled, quartered, cored, roughly chopped
2 tbsp caster sugar, plus 1 cup, extra
1 cup thick custard
1 cup raspberry jam
4 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 180˚C.
- Place apples in a saucepan over medium-high heat with 2 tbsp sugar and ¹/₃ cup water. Stir until sugar has dissolved and mixture comes to the boil. Cover and simmer for 8 minutes or until apples are tender. Drain. Set aside to cool.
- Combine apples and custard in a bowl.
- Transfer to a 5-cup capacity shallow heatproof dish. Spoon jam over apple mixture and gently spread.
- Beat eggwhites in a bowl until soft peaks form. Slowly add extra sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, beating well after each addition until mixture is stiff, thick and glossy.
- Spoon meringue onto dessert. Bake for 10 minutes or until meringue is light golden.
For a change, I make this in individual baking dishes – it presents nicely for dinner guests!
Happy baking xx